Thursday, December 9, 2010

Well, that was fun...

Last night started out great-Jackson went to sleep very easily and Justin and I kicked our feet up to relax after a long day. Jackson was on the tail end of a mild cold, but otherwise happy and healthy. About 9:15 or so we heard Jackson coughing via our baby monitor but he was laying down so we let it go. Then I thought I heard him gasp for breath so we both kind of perked up and listened to him. Then we heard him wretching so we jumped up and ran upstairs. Poor little guy was laying there wimpering and covered in vomit. This was the first time he has ever really vomited from being sick. And it was ALL over him and his crib, blanket, bumper. Not to mention that we had spaghetti with peas that night, so there were undigested noodles and peas all over the place (eww!). They ended up in my hair before it was all over with (double eww!) We immediately got him undressed and I took him to the bath while Justin started attempting to clean up. Jackson started shaking really badly, which wigged me out pretty bad because I have never seen him do that. Justin was wonderful and very calm and reassured me that he was probably just weak and tired from vomiting. Anyway, I gave him the worlds shortest bath because I was a nervous wreck and then wrapped him up and pulled him to me. We finally got him dressed and all cozy and comfy when he started vomiting again. I'll spare you all of the details, but he started vomiting every 15 minutes. He didnt have a fever and in between sessions, he was smiling and waving at us. Still, when he was getting sick it was so hard to see. :( After a while he was getting frustrated because he was so tired. We started getting concerned after the fourth or fifth time and called his pediatrician and the pediatrician that lives down the street on their cell phones. They both called back within 2 minutes and basically said the same thing: to stop giving him fluids for a bit until the vomiting subsided and then start giving him sips of water/pedialite every couple of hours. They both said there is a cold that is going around that ends in a 8-12 hour stomach bug. They said we (thankfully) did not need to take him to the ER.

This is why I love our Jackson's ped: Drew (he insists that we call him this, but it is still weird)told us that it didnt sound serious at all, but that he wanted us to call him at any point during the night if we got concerned or if the vomiting didn't subside. He said that he would sleep with his phone by his head all night in case we needed him. He also reassured us that this he really loves this part of his job-helping out his dear friends with concerns after hours. Who does that? He is awesome and I can't tell you how much better it made me feel that Jackson's dr was just a phone call away. We are so thankful for Dr. Drew's kindness and we are constantly reassured that we made the best decision for Jackson's care.

Long story short, he finally started doing a little bit better. I think we ended up counting 8 times or so that he threw up before it stopped. I finally gave him water and nursed him at 3:30 AM because he woke up sobbing for "wawa". Poor guy was SO thirsty! He got sick at 4 AM and that was the last time (thank you God). He has not eaten to well today, but has been playing like a champ and in good spirits. I hope the worst is behind us. Poor Justin ended up doing multiple loads of laundry througout the night and cleaning everything up after each time. He slept on the floor beside our bed for part of the night, and then at the foot of our bed for the rest of the night, as Jackson was sprawled out and we wanted to keep him comfy. Justin couldve slept in the guest room, but stayed with me to help out all night. We both hardly slept. Ive said it before, but I'll say it again-I married a good man! All in all it was a right of passage of sorts for us, and one that I hope doesn't happen again for a LONG time. It also reminded me how fortunate we have been to have a healthy baby so far, and I pray that he continues to be healthy. Here's hoping for a better night tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment