Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Impromptu trip to the dentist

Today we took a quick trip to the dentist. We were just there about 2 months ago for Jackson's first cleaning and had a great visit. Jackson got a wonderful report on his teeth, which was a relief since I still nurse him to sleep at night. About a week ago I thought I noticed his front tooth looked a little "streaky". It looked like maybe a whitish looking streak but it was hard to tell. Then I started kinda obsessing over it. I already brush his teeth 3 times a day, but I kept trying to see the tooth in different lighting to see what it might be. I googled "tooth decay" and it didnt look like that at all, so I put a call into the dentist yesterday to see what he thought. They wanted us to bring him in so they could take a look.

Jackson was seen today by Justin's pediatric denist, which was great. He was a really nice guy. He got a good look under the lights and said it was definitely NOT tooth decay or enamel issues. He said most likely the tooth wasn't perfect white before and that I was just noticing a little discoloration (normal) for the first time. He said that it looked like there might be a very tiny bit of non cavity causing bacteria on the tooth which is what I might be seeing, but that it would resolve on it's own in a few weeks. He sees it daily on toddlers this age. He told me I could brush a little harder, but that it may not get it off. I was glad to hear that it will go away all on its own. He said there are absolutely no signs or concerns of decay or cavity. Jackson's little teeth looked great! He did remind me of the importance of brushing at night without nursing to sleep afterwards, which I totally need to bite the bullet and do. We are getting closer and closer every day to cutting out the bedtime feeding. This is going to sound a bit crazy, but this afternoon and evening I was looking at his teeth and I can barely see any discoloration at all. It looks pretty much all white to me now. Go figure. I was just so thankful to hear from the dentist that his teeth are still in tip top shape!

1 comment:

  1. Our kids' first set of teeth is really important as it will affect their permanent teeth later on. Jackson's teeth must have been very healthy ever since they appeared and there's nothing serious about that streak. Quite an awesome young man.

    Loretta John

    ReplyDelete