Tuesday, July 13, 2010

11 Months Old












Wow, the next "month" post will be for our ONE year old!! I just can't believe how fast time has flown. This month has been so much fun! Here are some updates:

-Jackson waves at everything! Seriously. We call him the "Jackson Whaley welcome wagon" because from the second he wakes up, he starts waving. He will start with the fan and then make is way around the room. As soon as he sees me or Justin, he will give us a big enthusiastic wave. I have even caught him waving in his sleep. What a sweetheart!

-He also gives kisses-big, wet, sloppy ones and then he will bury his head into you afterwards for a few seconds. I don't know if it is a hug or if he's embarrased, but it is adorable. He also points to things that he wants and is now holding his toy phone up to his ear like a big boy.

-We now have his first official word...MAMA! He says it ALL the time now. Sometimes it's just Mum, but we are pretty sure he knows that I am Mama and that he means to say it now. He is also saying DADA to Justin non stop. He started saying Dada just a few weeks after Mama. It melts our hearts every time. He has been quite the little talker these days.

-He has taken his first steps! He hasn't gone more that 3-4 at a time, but he's getting there! Justin saw his very first step, but together we saw his first couple of steps. That was really special. We were like "Oh my gosh, did he just do that!?" I think he will be officially walking by his birthday or very soon after.

-He loves music time with Daddy in the evenings. Justin takes Jackson after dinner while I shower and he pipes Pandora music through our TV. Jackson loves it! Justin says his favorites are definitely Sting, Dave Matthews, The Eagles, and Jimi Hendrix...although deep down I KNOW his favorite is Counting Crows. :) (Yes, although my obsession with Adam Duritz has slightly lessened through the years, Counting Crows will always be my favorite band!) Funny story, as we were driving down the interstate this past weekend, I put on "51st Anniversary" by Jimi Hendrix because he LOVED that song when I was pregnant. Towards the end of my pregnancy, he would go crazy every time I played that song and I felt like he was going to punch through my stomach. Well, as soon as the CD started, he began clapping, smiling, and kicking his legs in his carseat. I guess he really is a Jimi fan!! :)
-Ahh the biting continues. When he gets mad or frustrated he leans into us and bites our shoulder. That little stinker has some sharp teeth! We respond by saying "No biting!" and then we say "That hurts Mommy/Daddy". If we make a really sad face then he will instantly get a pitiful look on his face and start crying. Of course then we have to give him a big hug and tell him that "it's ok, just no more biting". It is the sweetest thing. The biting seems to be lessening a bit. I know he's not doing it to hurt us-it is definitely a frustration thing. He will learn. Something that I am really learning is that he is keenly aware of my emotions, tone of voice, etc. I was holding him the other day and I walked into a spider web. I immediately starting kind of nervously jumping around, swatting at it, and saying "ewww ahhh" and Jackson took one look at me and started crying, a real sad cry. He gets so upset if he senses that I am upset
-He has eaten some more "table" foods: chicken, peas, carrots, grapes, toast (finally without throwing up! I think it was a texture thing.) He still really loves cheese, yogurt, puffs/cheerios, and mum mums. We are still giving him a good bit of baby food, but we are slowly trying to transition to more finger foods. Now that he will eat toast, I am going to attempt a flattened grilled cheese. I also bought some fresh oranges and peaches to make some chunks to give him. Mashed egg yolks and scrambled eggs are next on the list as well. He is also master of the sippy cup! I can't remember the last time he's taken a bottle. He also loves water. He is still on the fence about apple juice, though.

-He is still nursing, nursing, nursing. I am trying my best to wean him and we have finally been able to cut out some feedings. For the first time in awhile, I am noticing a dip in my supply. I am thinking I will end up going a bit past my goal of a year simply because I dont want it to be an abrupt ending for him (and me?!). I don't think it will be much longer than 13/14 months, though. I am really just trying to be as flexible as possible while still sticking to my goal of a year.

-Sleep...Ahh, does anyone else out there have an 11 month old that doesnt quite sleep through the night yet? He used to until we cut out the swaddle at 4 months old and sleep hasnt been the same since. We also had some good nights until all 6 teeth decided to pop through in the span of a few months. That was fun. I have been hoping for some better consistency, and I think we are finally getting there. We are getting some good 7-8 hours stretches until he briefly wakes up to nurse. He is still getting on average 11 hours of sleep per night and is very consistent in his nap schedule (9:30 AM and 2:00 PM).
-This month has been a blast as his personality has really been shining through. He is becoming more fun and interactive. I love to watch him play with his toys and "talk" to them. It's amazing to watch him grow and learn new things right before our very eyes. It's getting harder to remember how life was before Jackson was in it. We just couldn't ask for a more perfect and sweet baby to spend our days and nights with!

No comments:

Post a Comment