Friday, October 1, 2010

Granola

Our lease on the BMW X3 was up a little over a month ago and we turned it back in instead of buying it. I am really going to miss that car. We were sad to see it go. I think we both developed sentimental attachment to it. After all, it is the car that we brought our sweet baby home in.

We decided to look into a hybrid vehicle and decided on the Toyota Prius. Since it is my car and I travel a good bit for work, it is perfect! It is much bigger inside than it looks and we have plenty of room in it, even with Jackson's car seat. We leased it for two years, and our hope is that once we turn it in we will be ready to upgrade to an SUV to accommodate a bigger family :) We will see!
This car is so much fun to drive. We get incredible gas mileage, and it is fun to see just how good we can get. Right now we are averaging about 51/52 miles to the gallon. It is so cool to look at our sensor and see that we are running purely on battery and getting 99 mpg. I think Justin is a bit obsessed with what is called "hypermiling". He will call me from the road just to let me know he is hypermiling (running only on battery power). HA! Another perk with this car-My mileage for work just was increased, so it is just money in our pockets every time I travel for work, which is pretty often these days. Sweet!

I guess you could say that the prius sort of fits with our granola lifestyle right now. We are still buying mostly organic, and recycling so much that all we have is one measly bag of trash a week these days. Don't worry, we are not full fledged tree-hugging hippies-You know that is just not our style!! :) But it feels good to do our part (however small) to help the planet. So here is our new car for the next two years: 2009 Toyota Prius with all the fun bells and whistles. We love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment