Friday, May 21, 2010

Vampire Baby's first trip to Atlanta

I hate that we have no pictures to post here! Jackson took his first trip to Atlanta last weekend. My best friend Meri lives there with her husband Matt and we have been planning to come for a long time. Also, one of my very dear friends Whitnei was having a baby shower, so I wanted to surprise her and make a weekend out of it. The trip up there was a bit of a challenge because little man was in some serious teething pain. I mean he was biting onto stuff and ripping it out of his mouth and also shoving his whole fist in his mouth. Poor guy was just so miserable. He usually sleeps so well in the car, but he woke up from his nap after 30 minutes...and he was not happy! We pulled over in Columbia and gave him some tylenol and I got in the backseat to entertain him. He did ok after about 40 minutes of fussing and he finally fell asleep a little while outside of ATL. He also started having some runny diapers and we stopped to change a blowout at the rest area. Once we got to Aunt Meri and Uncle Matt's house, all was well. It was GREAT to see my partner in crime and hang out with Meri. She was my maid of honor and college roommate and we lived together for a long time after college as well. We have had too many adventures to count and she is actually the one who introduced me to Justin. It was a big adjustment for me when I had to move away from Meri because she is my girl and a big source of peace/comfort to me. I guess a lot of that comes from living together for so long. I remember when Justin and I bought our house, the first night I just broke down crying and told Justin " I miss Meri!". Boo hoo! Ha!

Jackson warmed up quickly to Meri and we went out to dinner Friday night while Matt was on his way home from a business trip. That night when I went to put Jackson down to bed, he did something that I still haven't recovered fully from...He BIT me. Hard. While nursing. I don't know why-maybe teething? I jumped in shock and he pulled back and stared at me with this wild look in his eye. It was kinda dark in the room and I couldnt see any damage, so I let him try again and nurse, which he did and it was a little uncomfortable. By the next morning it was getting more and more painful to feed him. By that evening, it was excruciating!! I ended up having to start pumping on that side. After a day or two, 2 teeth marks emerged. It looks like I was bitten by a baby vampire! Since then, I have been alternating between pumping and letting him nurse, but after a few times of letting him nurse, the pain returns. It isn't infected, but I think that it is taking so long to heal because every time he eats it is like taking a step back. He has also tried biting the other side a few times, but nothing hard. I have been telling him NO! and I think he has gotten the message. If he keeps it up, he is going to wean himself sooner than planned. I can honestly say that mastitis has got NOTHING on the pain from a bite! I mean a few times the pain has been "grab onto the couch cushions and breathe through it" type pain. I had 8 months of blissful nursing with no problems and then BAM...two issues in the last month and a half-what's up with that!?

Anyway, on Saturday we went to breakfast with Meri and Matt and then they dropped me off at Whitnei's for her baby shower...which was great! Meri, Matt, Justin and Jackson went to a park and played where Meri joined the very elite and selective group of people that Jackson will let feed him his bottle! :) As for me, I definitely surprised Whitnei and it was WONDERFUL to see her and get to say hi to baby Austen before he is born. It was a great time and she looked wonderful! Her best friends did a great job throwing the shower and the games were a lot of fun! Also, Whitnei's nursery is absolutely beautiful. It makes me want to do more with Jackson's. I am SO excited for her and Damian and baby Austen who will be here very soon! When Justin picked me up, he brought Jackson in to say hello and I am so glad Jackson got to meet everyone. Love ya girl-you know I wouldn't have missed the shower for anything!

That night we grilled out with Meri and Matt and just had a relaxing evening. I love Meri's house. I got to fall asleep at night to the sound of the crickets and wind chimes. I even got serenaded by a rooster every morning, which was really cool! Sunday morning we left about noon and hit the open road. Jackson fell asleep 30 mins into the drive and slept for about 2 1/2 hours on the way home. We stopped for lunch and then he played in his carseat the rest of the way home...success. It was a great weekend spent with two of my favorite girls ever!

PS-Jackson's 9 month update coming soon...Just a little late!

No comments:

Post a Comment