Monday, May 14, 2012

Rhett-5 Weeks Old

and growing bigger every day! Rhett is really starting to fill out and we are starting to see more of his personality coming out. The big news for this week is that Rhett began smiling at us around 5 1/2 weeks!! We get lots of smiles now and he is cooing a lot as well. I will try and post a video. Please excuse my annoying voice in the background :)

Rhett has been a pretty happy guy for the last few weeks and it is wonderful. He is doing a great job sleeping. He goes down around 8:30 or 9 PM and wakes twice throughout the night to nurse, but then goes right back to sleep. He wakes up about the same time as Jackson does every morning, so they are on the same schedule, which is really convenient. I am getting decent sleep at night and then about an hour nap during the day. Rhett naps very well when he is all snuggled up against me, so it is nice to have that time with him while Jackson is in school.

One thing that remains the same is that Rhett is a temperamental little guy if he wakes up and is hungry. He will cry so hard that he turns almost purple and he gets SO worked up. He can be quite dramatic. As soon as I feed him, he is perfectly happy. He doesn't do this at night-only during the day when he wakes up in his carrier. He will be doing this cry that we call his "goat cry" which sounds just like a goat. It also almost sounds like he is laughing and Jackson has a perfect impression of it, which he will start doing. So then we have one baby crying hysterically and then the other is laughing and imitating him. Justin and I just look at each other and laugh..what else can you do amidst that chaos? :)

Other than that, things here are going quite well. We are having quite a time lately with Jackson misbehaving at times. We have noticed that it happens mostly when one of us is giving Rhett attention. It really seems to bother him when Justin is holding Rhett. Obviously he is having some jealousy issues, so we have really been trying to give Jackson some special attention. Still, he has been spending a lot of time in time out for smacking and not listening. We hate having to punish him, but we have to let him know that it is unacceptable to smack us when he gets put in time out or gets overly excited. Most of the time, he is just so sweet and loving to both us his baby brother that it melts your heart. I know it will get better with time. It is a big adjustment for him, coupled with the fact that he 2 1/2 years old and testing his limits.

We had Jackson and Rhett dedicated to the church on Mother's Day yesterday. Rhett was awake and peaceful for the whole thing. Jackson on the other hand was, well, a handful! I know it is a lot for a 2 1/2 year old to stand still in front of the whole congregation, but he was acting W-I-L-D and trying to run away, climb up the stairs, smacking Justin, and talking out loud. Despite our talking to him beforehand and bribing him to behave, it was just too much. And OF course we were the last to go (there were several families that participated) since our name falls at the end of the alphabet. I kinda wish we had done Jackson's dedication when he was younger and more manageable! :)  Still, despite its challenges, we had our sweet babies dedicated together and that was so special. Also, the preacher who married us retiring in June, so it was important that he was there during our boy's dedication. Our church presented each boy with their own bibles with their names on them and certificates of dedication. Someone there took pictures, so as soon as I get them I will post some.

Tomorrow I am going back to Dr. Geier for my 6 week post partum visit. We got her a thank you card and cookies and I am going to write her a really nice note thanking her for bringing our sweet boys safely into this world. I LOVE the fact that she delivered them both. Plus, she was so reassuring and accommodating with my craziness during both pregnancies because I worried every step of the way with both. You name it, and I worried about it. I am going to miss seeing her on a regular basis. She is such an awesome doctor!

I am going to be working on Rhett's 6 week post soon, but first I really want to write a special post about all of the sweet cute things Jackson has been doing. For all of our challenging times lately with him, there are a million more precious moments with him and I want to remember them all!!







No comments:

Post a Comment